Friday, March 31, 2017

Rearview Musings

Everytime one grows a year older (like I did today), one questions the "age-is-a-mere-number" cliche and indulges in contemplation. This is peppered with denial or optimism basis circumstances. As I looked back at the last year, I found it worthwhile to compile a scorecard  that made me count my blessings and also list down surrogates for next year's resolutions. I mentally rummaged through all the jargon that my "corporate" self is meant to effortlessly spout but settled for the bland "Hits and Misses" in the end. So here goes:

Hits:

1. The missus and I still wish each other on our anniversary (and every personal milestone) in-person and not via social media. Private emotions continue to be expressed in private and not for 543 people to comment upon, however well-meaning they may be.

2.  New Year Eve, Diwali and Holi were spent with family, and friends who are near-family. Hope this privilege continues in the years to come.

3. The year had a half-marathon, wildlife safari, and  time in the hills thrown in. In my considered opinion all three are essential annual events.

4. In what has been my most challenging year at work yet, I wasn't short of adrenaline on any given morning. When the going gets tough...... and all that.

5.  I was able to hire or retain at least one person in my team whose superior capability keeps me on my toes.

6.  The library expanded significantly with books that I read or ones that I intend to read. My picks of the year- " Half Lion" and "The Revenge of Analog".

7. The tailor did not require fresh measurements for the 10th year in a row.

8. An elder sibling screamed at me with the same sense of authority and entitlement as my kindergarten days. Some things don't change and we aren't complaining.

9. More often than ever, I sang as if nobody was listening (including at bars and restaurants across the world if you please). Those subjected to my performance(s) ensured they never had to endure an encore. Not exactly my problem.

10. Terms like "my bad" and "dude" did not find any place in written or spoken sentences. My self-rating of my coolness quotient seems intact without resorting to these desperate measures.

11. I did not lose a single close friend to a tiff, misunderstanding or death (touchwood!).

Misses:

1. This half-marathon was my slowest yet (and I wasn't Emil Zatopek for starters). With numerous physical ailments cropping up every quarter, its been a really sore one. "Respecting age" and all those depressing thoughts came to mind.

2. Blogger's block set in. Time for a course correction.

3. The camera got rusty.

4.  The tailor did not require fresh measurements for the 10th year in a row.

5. Culinary skills continued to be showcased only to my own palate. Celebrity chef status beckons...

6. Socks with psychedelic colours found their way into my wardrobe. The jury is out on whether this reflects on my sartorial openness or is a sign of trying too hard (contradicting claims made in Hit #10)

It doesnt look too bad when I take stock after all. Wonder what explains the (even more) thinning hairline, greying pate and nascent wrinkles then...




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Simple and Honest....blog. Good way to start your year. Keep writing.

Unknown said...

Beautifully written �� once again Happy Birthday �� Deepshikha S Tavathia

Anonymous said...

Good way to start your very own 2017. Keep logging. And Happy Birthday .

Vinay Bagri said...

Nicely written, dude :)

Unknown said...

You are a good writer Sir. I have read your blogs earlier and this one reinforces my impression.

BhavneetS said...

Very interesting read - thanks for sharing! Wish you a great year full of more 'hits'...

BhavneetS said...

Very interesting read Mahesh - thanks for sharing! Wish you a great year ahead.

wildflower said...

Good way to keep record. I shall attempt this on my forthcoming birthday